Monday, June 28, 2010

My Favorite Routines, Continued

8. In the Morning (AKA "Mannequin")
Choreographed by Dave Scott
Performed by Lacey and Pasha (Season 3)



I realize that so far every single entry has been from season 3, but I can't help it; the third and fifth seasons were brilliant, in my eyes. Tis hip hop routine by Dave Scott is not only my favorite from that particular season, but it's also one of the funniest and most energetic to ever be on the show. For me, every male ballroom dancer doing hip hop will have to measure up to Pasha's performance here. Is it flawless? Absolutely not. But he is clearly having fun, and even when he messes up he just keeps going with that same immense energy. It's one of the best overall performances he ever gave. Lacey is so sharp and perfect for the character Dave Scott created for her. And this is probably also one of the more difficult hip hop routines to be featured on the show, and it was danced by two people whose primary training is in some other genre. It's impressive, to say the least. But I dare you to watch this and not smile.

7. True Romance (AKA "Willy Wonka")
Choreographed by Sonya Tayeh
Performed by Evan, Ade and Brandon (Season 5)



Everytime I watch these three men perform this dance, I get chills. Sonya's choreography is fresh, quirky, joyful, and surprising. Aside from the fact that they all dance their little hearts out, the difficulty of this routine needs to be taken into consideration. They do synchronized standing back tucks, for crying out loud. It's insanity. To see three men throwing each other around that stage like dolls (or, in this case, Ooompa Loompas) is so shocking but seems so natural also... because they're just so damn good. This is easily one of the most successful group numbers in the show's history, for me. The dancers are engaging, the choreography is jaw-dropping at times. It's pretty close to perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment